Monday, October 1, 2012

Finally Feeling Independent

Today was a big day for me that I celebrated quietly.  It was my first day with no crutches, just the orthopedic boot.  I was so thrilled on the inside that I couldn't do anything but smile today.  These little victories keep me going and keep me motivated.

So here I sit writing another blog post.  Its now been 9 weeks since my surgery and I am so thankful that the worst part of this injury is now over.  I feel as though the clouds are starting to disappear and I can see the sun again.

I am only using crutches in the morning when I am bare foot.  Otherwise I use the orthopedic boot when at work or out running errands and then use sneakers when I am at home.  I have a pretty bad limp, but the ortho said it is just going to take time for that to disappear   But walking, even with a limp, is so thrilling I don't even care if people stare or how awkward it looks.

First and foremost I want to make it clear that I am so thankful that my injury was not worse, I know things can always be worse.  But, at the same token I am also acknowledging that this whole situation has been incredibly frustrating.  I am blessed that it wasn't worse, that I had an amazing surgeon, a wonderful physical therapist  and a huge support system of my family (especially my hubby) and friends.  But let me tell you......two months non weight bearing was AWFUL!!!  Thank God this nightmare is almost over!

I have always heard people when they say, "I just had a flash back." But I never really has experienced one until this past Sunday morning.  I was just sitting on the couch when my mind jumped back to the day I fell.  My mind took me quickly through all the events leading up to surgery, then through all the changes I have dealt with as far as living a semi normal life.  I snapped out of it and was never more thankful for all the blessings in my life.  Its funny because I was beginning to feel frustrated again and it was like my mind was reminding me of what I overcame.  After the "flashback" all the frustration left my body and I was happy go lucky again.

This injury has been a physical struggle, but the biggest battle has been the emotional one.  I read that it was going to be but didn't believe it until now.  The mind is the strongest most influential part of our being.  I was recently feeling like everything was going wrong and that it couldn't get worse, then it did.  But through this injury I have never felt more thankful and happier.  What I thought was the worst thing that could have happened has turned out to be the greatest blessing.  I asked God for strength and he gave me the opportunity to be strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment