Monday, September 24, 2012

Two Months Ago......

Exactly two months ago my life changed forever in a matter of seconds, literally just two seconds.  The morning I fell, and the two weeks after, I felt like all I was getting was bad news and that I would never be the same after this injury.  I felt sad, scared, worried, and confused about the future.  But now....two months after my surgery I am almost happy that this injury has happened, it has given me a new perspective on life.

I will start by saying that I do live everyday with pain, almost constant.  Every move I make involves some amount of pain.  Its not too bad, but uncomfortable and there are moments when I wish it would all go away.  However, I get stronger everyday, what bothers me in the morning many times is gone by night, at night I am very tired but that means I have been active during the day, and the pain I feel now will hopefully subside in the next months of physical therapy.  I was told today it will be 8 months before I am "healed", or as "healed" as this injury can possibly be.  But things look great and the physical therapist says I am really doing very well and seeing improvements each week.

I can now walk long distance in the boot with one crutch, short distance in the boot no crutch, and at home in a sneaker and one crutch.  These little victories are what keep me going and I am determined to get as much function as possible back in my foot.  There are moments where I wonder if I will ever make more progress, but then I remind myself of how far I have come in two weeks of therapy.  I started in a boot and both crutches and I am so close to being in a sneaker full time.

I used to only see the negative in situations and then stress about them.  I would worry worry worry and then worry some more.  I would be consumed with "what if" scenarios and then worry about things that may not even happen in the future.  Then I fell.  There is a silver lining with everything, sometimes you just have to look harder to see it.  I now see how strong I am physically, I see that I can overcome the challenges that life throws my way, I am a much stronger person emotionally than I ever believed I could be, and that staying positive really truly does work wonders.

Yes, of course there are negatives.  I have two screws in my foot that hurt like heck, I needed a scooter to get around for two months, I needed surgery and will have to have another, I have pain every day, my foot is swollen almost every second of every day, I walk funny and have to wear a crazy looking boot, and I could go on forever, but I won't.  I won't because I don't want to give the negative parts of this any attention, because what does deserve my thoughts are all the positives.

It is funny sometimes how God answers prayers.  I wonder if in some way this injury was placed in my life to teach me how to be calm, be still, be thankful, and how to find the good in every situation.  Because they are all things I was not good at before this.  But whatever the reason my scars and this injury will always be a positive memory for me of what I overcame and what I achieved.


No comments:

Post a Comment