Sunday, August 19, 2012

Surgery Day!

Exactly two weeks after my fall I was in for surgery.  Dr. Overly moved my bones back into place, I believe it was called an open reduction internal fixation, but I can't be sure.  I have two screws placed into my midfoot to keep the bones in place while scar tissue forms in place of the ligament.  The doctor did the surgery in twenty minutes!!!  It was outpatient and I had minimal pain post op.

Now I am almost five weeks post injury and three weeks post op.  The bruising is almost all gone as well as the swelling, but I have to be careful not to let my foot hang down for too long or it turns purple.  Yuck, I know!  I am out of the post operation splint and back into an orthopedic boot to help protect my foot.  I am allowed to bend and flex my foot, can can take the boot off to shower and sleep.  Since being in the boot life is a little bit better.  I am more comfortable and can move around a little easier.  I no longer take any pain medications and if I have pain it is minor and due to too much movement.  I will be non weight bearing for the next four weeks and then I will start partial weight bearing and physical therapy.  The doctor says I will be in pain then, but at least I will be walking again.  The non weight bearing is a challenge, I hate crutches, but I keep telling myself it is only a short period of time and worth it to be sure I heal properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment